Monday, November 15, 2004

Faye Nicole San Juan and The Law and Order

Dear Mouse,

I wrote in my previous blog that I would not write anything about Faye until I read a confession or a denial from where the story originated.

I googled the news item about the confessions of the 12 year old Faye and her mother,Cathy San Juan and found a story written by a certain Blanche Rivera on inquirer7.

It seems that it is the mother who is suffering from depression and psychological turmoil because of the separation with Faye's dad, according to Arnel Salgado, principal of St. James College of Quezon City in a phone interview.

She confessed that she made up the story because she felt that nobody loved them.

When I read that the story was phony, my first reaction was to search for reason why a woman of her education could lie without batting an eyelash infront of a TV camera and viewed by millions.

I had seen her talked about the competition, the obstacles,they hurdled in between assuring words to her daughter that things would be okay .. now I realized that the assurances were addressed more to herself than to her daughter.

She lied and as there were questions about the authenticity of the story, she lied some more.

I am not justifying what she did even if her intention was to get the attention of the husband...that they exist. that they are also his family. Her account of their hurdles, setbacks and hassles were meant to make him guilty.

She had hurt people. She had put Patricia’s credibility under fire. She had given her stress and frustrations .

It is always easy to condemn people but those who have been in Cathy’s shoes could have also done the same-- weave a tale of her own world to escape her depression.

Nobody knows what we are capable of doing when it seems the world has turned against us.

I remember one episode of the Law and Order. Although, the drama in the Law and Order are fictionalized,many of them are based on true stories.

One such drama was the case of a young man who killed two Arabs because he was made to believe by the mother that his father was killed by these people during the Desert Storm.

In his desire to win acquittal, the lawyer showed that a portion of his client’s brain displayed agitation everytime the word Arabs or Muslims are mentioned without the need for more serious agitation.

It turned out the father was not dead. He left the family to live in with an Arab woman.

The mother knew this but in her attempt to conceal the truth from the son, she concocted a story that his father was dead.In his growing years, he nurtured the hate for Arabs who killed his heroic father.

The Ca t

14 Comments:

At 12:01 PM, Blogger karlaredor said...

wow.. funny how things happen.. imagine, my former adviser in high school (mr. salgado) dropped by at my website and now i'm bloghopping and found his name here. haha.

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Jon Vizcarra said...

The things we all do to get attention. But who can blame them? I mean, my friend who I blogged about two days ago is still on that boat. He's well educated and all but is acting like a blubbering idiot for a girl who just toyed around with him. Until now, he's still waiting.

What's bad is that he wants everyone around him feel the pain and hurt he's going thru. Not unlike Faye's mother. But the way I want to understand it is that she really doesn't want to hurt anyone. It was simply a cry for help.

I remember Cicero when he said, "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain....".

Oh and as far as I know, this quote was the basis for that Lorem Ipsum text in most microsoft programs.

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger cathy said...

depression knows no age, race,gender or educational status. i hope those people who called them names would not wake up one day in the same predicament.

i can't believe that there are people who have not even brought honor to the country have the nerve to call
Patricia, loser.

Talangka talaga.

 
At 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"She had hurt people. She had put Patricia’s
credibility under fire. She had given her
stress and frustrations."

Indeed she may have intentionally or inadvertently hurt other people. But Patricia as a journalist should have been more cautious. And this is not to put her (Patricia)down, either. Because being a neophyte in the field, she has much to learn. Sadly, she has to learn it the harsh way. Which, in fact, should fortify her resolve and care to make do well in her future journalistic sleuthings.

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Jon Vizcarra said...

I remember a scene from "All The President's Men" when both Bernstein and Woodward were not allowed to print a story until they have the story confirmed from two independent sources. Independent being the operative word here.

I would have to concur that Patricia should have confirmed the story first before publishing it. I'm no journalist but I would think that would have been the first thing she should have done.

What if the story is about something more serious and could affect national security or something? What then?

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger cathy said...

Let's wait for Patricia's article. I do not want to preempt her.

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Apol said...

an interesting related article from conrado de quiros
here

 
At 1:17 AM, Blogger Gwen Bautista said...

If we are in this world and supporting the wrong people and underestimating others by age, their glasses or how we easily attach ourselves emotionally to people who can always submit a pretty silly story; then it is our own responsibility to carry on the results.

 
At 1:50 AM, Blogger Sassy Lawyer said...

Maghapon akong hindi naka-online at ito ang unang entry sa pinoyblog na umakit sa aking interes.

Dapat sa babeng yan, idemanda. Terible, kawawa ang anak. Di na nya naisip yun? At her condition, I don't think she should be exercising parental authority over her daughter.

 
At 3:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lahat na lang ba ay dapat idaan sa paraang legal? ang tanong, bakit ba nagawa ng ina ang imoralidad na ito? ito ba ay depektong nag-uugat sa sarili, o sa systema.

 
At 4:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sassy is right on the money. The mother directed and scripted the whole fiasco. She should be held liable. Patricia who wrote about them should also be held responsible.

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger Jon Vizcarra said...

Rather than suing the mother, I would think DSWD (is that the right agency?)sould see if Cathy is deemed psychologically fit enough to raise her daughter and if not make the appropriate action.

I know that we may have not the resources nor facilities to do such a thing but I would believe that this is better than suing her.

The damage has been done, the proper reparation at this point is to make sure that both mother and daughter can move on and learn from this experience.

Man! I'm beginning to sound like a priest. And I haven't been to church for ages!

 
At 6:57 AM, Blogger cathy said...

gwen,
I think you have to read and reread my article. I said
whatever she did is unjustified regardless of her intent.

If she is not mentally fit to raise a child, then
she should undergo counselling. It would not help calling them names.It would not help blaming them.
BLM already owned the responsibility and had already
apologized to Patricia. I can't just blog it here not
until Patricia publish her article.

For young people like you, misery brought about by
separation, divorce and or infidelity is a silly story.

I can understand you. You have not passed that phase when everything should be by the book and according to the dictates of the group you belong.

 
At 4:10 AM, Blogger Gwen Bautista said...

Cathy,

It doesn't mean that when you're young you're stupid and when you're old you can't be stupid.

A pretty silly story is something that would pose like a brilliant one to those who are claiming maturity and not to those who configure the truth and the real causes.

I apologize that I have not written my response yet to your answers regarding my comments on Ms. Evangelista's articles but work is occupying my time right now. I'll hand my reply on my blog as soon as I can and then you can tip the scales wherever.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home