Saturday, March 12, 2005

The Cassava Killer aka Balinghoy and the Casanova

Dear mouse,

One of my favorite snacks when I was a kid growing up in the middle of a big farm planted with cassava and sweet potatos was the linupak. This is a delicacy prepared from boiled cassava, sugar, grated coconut and sometimes mixed with banana(saba). This is mashed using the pestle and mortar.

Masarap.

Or my grandma would boil peeled and sliced cassava with brown sugar. We were warned however not to eat food made from cassavas if we do not know who prepared them.

I would see my grandma in the "batalan" with the newly-harvested cassavas sorting them what would be for our food, for the pig and for sale.

One time,I was so hungry that I did not bother to call my lolo(grandpa) to get me a snack.When my mom would visit my dad in the City, she would leave us to our grandparents who pampered us with lots of food from their farm and fishpens.

I went to the kitchen and found this glutinous stuff steaming hot from a big dish.

I tasted it. Uhhhhmmm, good but it was not sweetened. I thought, I would just add some milk and sugar.

My grandma came when I was scooping the stuff with a ladle.

She said: Gusto mo bang tumigas ang bituka mo?

My grandma was using cassava to make "almirol" of the mosquito nets.

Here in the Estet, the favorite "potlock food" is the cassava cake.

One time I chanced upon a lady who was selecting a few pieces of cassava from a box of these tubers.

I told her about the poisonous content of the cassavas.

She said with a grin, " I know that is why I am buying it to prepare a cassava cake for my husband's birthday. I am making extra. I know he would give some to his "querida".

Me: achecheche.

The threat to poison was just a joke by the lady but the querida thing is not.

Me: achecheche.

The Ca t

5 Comments:

At 11:37 AM, Blogger Kiwipinay said...

i like nilufak too! sarap na sarap ako dun. pero nakakatakot na pala ngayon kumain nun?

pero natawa rin ako sa comment ni wifey ha? game sya. ehehehe...

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger cathy said...

linupak ba o nilupak.di bale wag lang nilamutak.

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Kiwipinay said...

hahahaha!!! oo nga. nakasanayan ko na kasi na "nilupak" eh. di nga kaya yun din ang ibig sabihin nun? nilamutak? bwahahahahaha!!! sagwa! wag lang din "inupakan".

musta ka na, acheng?

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger cathy said...

ito beauting ina pa rin.
'musta na yong gusto kang gawing snack. nong kala niya saiyo nilupak?

 
At 3:32 AM, Blogger infraternam meam said...

cath...did u know in one of the tribes in the deep jungles of the amazon..they use the cassava as a drink called "maniok". the women chew on it then spit the juice in a bowl and ferment it..then this becomes a drink like beer, kasama ang panis na laway.buti na lang hindi ako tumuloy ng pagpapari..kung hindi nasa south america ako amongst this tribe. diyos ko 'day. isa pang info..in a tribe in central asia..the girl chosen by the chieftain to be his wife will be fed w/cassava until she gets big and fat(not ugly) then she will become the wife of the chieftain. ayoko yatang parang balyena ang asawa ko.and according to my lola...tumawag pa ko sa pinas for this..ang gastos mo talaga kahit kailan...the proper word is "nilupak"hmmmmmm!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home