Saturday, May 07, 2005

Mothers’ Day

Dear mouse,

Mother's Day is one celebration that I would not fault the US for initiating it so the businesses may profit from its commercialization.

I feel bad and sad yesterday. I committed to attend a Mother’s Day party in a Jewish retirement home. Last minute, I have to call the Activties Director to apologize for not being able to make it. I am afraid that I will feel uncomfortable with those old women being feted for Mother’s day when I am coughing incessantly.

I did call the good old woman who was expecting me to come. The letter of invitation was sent to me by her daughter who felt that we would both enjoy each other’s company.

She was also not well. She had to go back to her bed because she was freezing.

On this mother’s day, I remember when we buried my mother in Boston. I hesitated to go and leave her in the cemetery. I thought that she would be alone and freezing too. No tears dropped though. That was how she brought us up.

While other people would be scared to see a ghost, that night, I was hoping my mother would show up and talk to me.

I got her sense of humor na mababaw. When we were out in the mall or in the streets, we would make fun of stuff that we found odd even without having to talk about it.

I miss my mom and to her and the beautiful old woman I stood up yesterday, Happy Mother’s Day.

The Ca t

5 Comments:

At 10:53 AM, Blogger infraternam meam said...

actually Cat...this is what i have read and know on Mothers Day.Mothers Day was Greek inspired, this is a spring celebration of the ancient Greece for the mother of all God, named Rhea. then it was started in England the during 1600, called MOTHERING DAY, when servants, who lives away from their parents, is being given chance to go home to their respective families. a special cake called, MOTHERING CAKE is prepared and brought along to provide the festive touch. when Christianity was spreading all over Europe, it then became a celebration also of MOTHER CHURCH, the spiritual power of Christianity and then blended in the church festival of MOTHERING SUNDAY celebration.in America... it was initiated as a meeting called Mother's Day meeting in Boston by Julia Ward Howe, who wrote "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" then in 1907, Anna Jarvis of Philadelphia campainged to establish a national Mother's Day and persuaded her mother's church in Garfton, W. Va. to celebrate Mother's Day on the second anniversary of her mother's death.Anna Jarvis and her supporter wrote to ministers, businessmen and politicians in their quest to establish a national Mother's Day. In 1911 Mother's Day was celebrated in almost every state, but in 1914, Pres. Woodrow Wilson made the official proclamation, making 2nd Sunday of May ...MOTHER'S DAY. but for me, i told my two boys that MOTHER'S DAY IS NOT ONLY EVERY MAY, MOTHER'S DAY IS ALWAYS EVERY DAY WITH YOUR MOM IN YOUR HEARTS.

as for you, on this day...you have missed your mom, because it is said,"The heart of a mother, is always transferred into the heart of the daughter who will carry the legacy of motherhood".it is okey to miss your mom...i am sure your mom misses you to.

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger cathy said...

frat,
tenks for the correction. nakita ko nga sa blog ko last year.
happy mother's day ay Esmi.

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger mayo said...

hi Cat. i also lost my mom recently, nung dec. 30 last year lang. it was leukemia.
it was hard for me to go through mothers' day kasi wala nga ang nanay ko. pero ok lang. may isa pa akong nanay. may mga tita, mga kaibigan na nanay, magiging nanay at nangangarap maging nanay.
just the same, i feel the way you do. i miss my mother.

 
At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A

 
At 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey c hy,

Your blog "Mothers’ Day", leads me to believe you will find my information on our Acne Advice site to be very beneficial.

Some of the not so common searches that found our extensive wages site included ...

Accutane Acne
Acne
Acne Alternative reatment
Acne Care
Acne Care Natural Skin
Acne Care Product Skin Treatment
Acne Medicine
Acne Prevention
Acne Prevention Treatment.

We have many "essential to read" articles on acne and acne topics in addition to many other popular subjects in our Acne Problem site.

Best Wishes

 

Post a Comment

<< Home