Friday, May 13, 2005

WHEN YOU THOUGHT I WASN'T LOOKING

Dear mouse,

I’ve got a friend who is enjoying his granddaughter immensely that everytime the little angel has new gimmicks and new words, he would come and happily tell me about them.

Remember this blog of mine about lolo and apo-baby talk.

He availed of early retirement from the State so he is now enjoying his pension while he's active in his Church.

Before, we used to talk about politics, religion and other stuff. He has been here in the States so long that he tells me every bits of information that a not so new-babe-in-the-block like me find useful. Now we talk about the APO. He was busy working when his children was growing up that he did not have the chance to enjoy his kids.

Much of his observations about his grown up kids are expressed in this poem sent to me by my brother.

Each of us (parent, grandparent, aunt , uncle, teacher or friend) influence the life of a child.

SO TO ALL OF THE PEOPLE WHO DO SO MUCH FOR OTHERS AND WHO THINK THAT NO ONE EVER SEES AND CARES, REMEMBER THAT LITTLE EYES SEE A LOT.

WHEN YOU THOUGHT I WASN'T LOOKING

(Written by a former child)

A message every adult should read, because children are watching you and doing as you do, not as you say.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you hang my first painting on the refrigerator and I immediately wanted to paint another one.

When you thought I wasn't looking I saw you feed a stray cat, and I learned that it was good to be kind to animals.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you make my favorite cake for me and I learned that the little things can be the special things in life.

When you thought I wasn't looking I heard you say a prayer, and I knew there is a God I could always talk to and I learned to trust in God.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you make a meal and take it to a friend who was sick, and I learned that we all have to help take care of each other.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you give of your time and money to help people who had nothing and I learned that those who have Something should give to those who don't.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you take care of our house and everyone in it and I learned we have to take care of what we are given.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw how you handled your responsibilities, even when you didn't feel good and I learned that I would have to be responsible when I grow up.

When you thought I wasn't looki ng, I saw tears come from your eyes and I learned that sometimes things hurt, but it's alright to cry. When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw that you cared and I wanted to be everything that I could be.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I learned most of life's lessons that I need to know to be good and productive person when I grow up.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I looked at you and wanted to say, "Thanks for all the things I saw when you thought I wasn't looking."

The Ca t

13 Comments:

At 4:30 AM, Blogger Svelte Rogue said...

nakakaiyak naman ito, meow... sana ganyan din ako para sa kuting ko

 
At 4:31 AM, Blogger celia kusinera said...

That is so true, CaT. Sabi nga ng isang prend ko - 'the best way to teach a child is by example of how you live your life not what you tell them to do'. Thanks for sharing. :)

 
At 5:29 AM, Blogger Apol said...

meow... salamat dito C at.

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger Sassy Lawyer said...

ako din naiyak. pero totoong-totoo yan. kaya sana paglaki ng mga anak ko... antipatika rin hahahahaha

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger cathy said...

Naku sassy,
yong mga kwento mo lang tungkol sa mga achievements ng mga anak mo at pagrerecognize mo sa anak mo ang naalala ko tungkol sa isang linya sa tula.
Bakit ka naiyak akala ko ba kagaya rin kita may heart of steel? Saiyo pala iron. hahahaha

Ako rin namana ko ang aking pagkaantipatika sa aking mader.

naalala ko noon na ipinagmalaki niya sa kaniyang mga fwends yong sinulat ko sa isang newspaper
noong ako ay nasa high school pa.

and I everything about love for education by our family's third generation was due to my parents'
efforts to see us thru college.

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger cathy said...

apol,
isa ka sa mga naisip ko sa tulang ito, kasama si G for whatever she is now,
si celia, si ting ,si jmom,si misisp,
si titorolly, si analyn, si mari, si jobert, si toni, si lara, si luchie g, si tanggero, si manangku, of course si Anp, si sachiko, si renee, si frat at si manny viloria.

Para sa mga wala pang mga biik o
bubuwit, kagaya ni Mecsy, ni karla,si ate sienna,si Bong K,watson, tintin, kiwi, tanya, si polo(kasi hindi na biik yong kaniya)at mga hindi nababanggit kung sila ay may inahin na at mga biik, alam na ninyo kung sino kayo.

Sandali bakit ba naging parang dedication program ito?

toinktoinktoink

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger cathy said...

cel,
although there are other factors that shape an individual but the greatest influence is that of the parents'.

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger cathy said...

lara,
iiyak ka na naman. palagay ko yong kuting mo hindi magiging iyakin. maloko puwede. hekhekhek

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger Cerridwen said...

I wish I have oen to set a sample for...to follow my footsteps...to try to mimic me...

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger cathy said...

G,
As i have commented in response to apol, i believe that whatever you are now is because of your mother.

You will have another angel.
Don't worry.

 
At 9:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Cathy. What a nice post. I read this poem/article when I was taking my ECCE in SG. Thanks for reminding me of its existence.
yeah, we must not underestimate a child, though they may not be talking or listening properly at times ,but they are taking notice of things by heart.

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Mec said...

:)

basically...

'when you thought i wasn't looking
you were teaching me about love and enjoying life...'

 
At 8:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ang ganda cath. simple but poignant. i want my kids to be street smart, loving and independent when they grow up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home